ShellshockedSlipping Into Life
Another track was included in the ‘Street to Street vol. 1’ compilation (see below) namely Screen Love (a.k.a. Clear on Radar). The band played many gigs across North West and by late 1979 Tontrix members went their separate ways: Mike Score formed A Flock of Seagulls.
Hambi Haralambous, Steve Lovell and Chris Hughes joined forces with Wayne Hussey on guitar (ex Walkie Talkies, later Dead or Alive, Sisters of Mercy) and Gazza Johnson on bass and synthesizers (later China Crisis). But, as the name suggests, the band was purely the vehicle for Hambi Haralambous’ creativity. The first line-up in fact went through several changes, concerning especially the drum-stool, with the arrival of The Major (later Windows, The Balcony, Red, Hatework, New Dodos and Logic Of Impossibility) and later Les Hughes (soon to join White Russians), but also the keyboard position, with the ‘provisional’ inclusion in the line-up of Phil Coxon (ex Visual Aids, later OMD). Hussey was soon to leave the band, which, with the collaboration of musicians and friends (Nick Plytas and James Lascelles on piano, Steve Power and Mick Glossop on synthesizers) in 1981 released a couple of singles (Too late to fly the flag [b/w She Doesn’t Talk] and L'image craqué), both of which were included in the 1982 album, an interesting combination of synthesized art-rock and traditional rock'n'roll,:Hambi and the Dance - Hearthache
Time After TimeLiving In A Heartache
Madelaine
L'Image Craqué
Spirits
The World
Dancing Inside You
Major Major
Too Late To Fly The Flag
Standing In The Rain
For the live act, Hambi recruited several players (Guy Chambers, who later worked with Julian Cope – and much later wrote ‘Angel’ for Robby Williams – Roger Askew, who will then play keyboards for a variety of artists including Joe Strummer, Peter Gabriel, Bliss) among whom ex-Spitfire Boy Paul Rutherford, as backing vocalist and… dancer. The group hosted the first live appearance of the newly-formed Frankie Goes to Hollywood (at Pickwicks, in Liverpool, 1982) whose line-up included the female backing-vocalist Sonya Mazunda, Apparently, Rutherford got so caught up in Frankie's performance he joined in with them on stage. After this night Paul replaced Sonya in the group permanently, leaving Hambi to his dance….
After years of silence, Hambi and the Dance made their come back with the 7” 25 Tears A Day in 1984, and I Don’t Want to Lose You in 1985.

8 commenti:
Hiya... I am sorry, but I keep forgetting my password.
I do also have the 'I Don't Want To Lose You'/'Julie' single... But it may be sometime before I can make an MP3, but shall if you want it.
I've left another message in the 1st Dalek I Love You comments...
Of course you are very very welcome if you want to contribute anything to this site. I'd love to hear the later Hambi's singles!!
Thanks in advance, should you ever send me something to post.
Best
M
Hiya Mij... Yon know, I have to reset my password everytime I try to leave a comment!!! Anyways, e-mail me at: dictaphone@hotmail.com
I shall try and make an MP3 of the Hambi 7" and then the Dalek I's 'Wild Jim' - it's a bizarre track! I think it ends with a 'native' woman giving birth to a fish... 'So is born Wild Jim' - or something like that! Really...
I will e-mail them to you ASAP.
I have a copy of The Face - somewhere - which tells the story of the late 70s Liverpool groups...
I've loved the song Standing In The Rain since I heard it one the radio...once back in the 80's.
Great to here al these rare tracks.
Is it possible that the link above to Tontrix' 'Screen love' actually links to 'Clear on Radar'?
Dear Rusty,
Thanks for the ramark. Actually it's the same song. The title on the back cover of the Street to Street 1 compilation reads 'Screen Love', whereas the lyrics in the chorous go 'Clear on radar...'. Hence the confusion of some discography compilers, myself included!
Best
Mij
Heartache is one of the best albums ever - I remember buying it for the price of a single and being really impressed. Didnt know about the later singles, would LOVE to hear them...
Would LOVE to hear those later singles. The album is one of my all time greats.
Posta un commento