After the Compass Kum-pas album and before Dalek I Love You,

the group shrank down to its founding member Alan Gill, who soon would join the Teardrop Explodes (and write for them their major hit Reward). But some traces of Dalek life during that lapse of time still circulate. One of them is the existence (somewhere, God only knows where…) of ‘Notes from the Underground 6 (1981)’ an unofficial fanzine containing two original tracks (‘Conveyor Belt’ – recorded live at Eric's 1978 and ‘You Make Me Feel Like a Fly’ - Alan Gill home demo) together with the original mix of the single ‘Heartbeat’ and of ‘Dad on Fire’ (then to appear on 1983 album Dalek I Love You). Another interesting piece of the Dalek history was in an audio magazine in tape form called SFX. The Issue No 15 (June 12-24 1982) contained a song titled ‘
Wild Jim’. The spoken intro, beside name-checking Dalek I Love You and mentioning their link to Teardrop Explodes, introduces the song as the first part of a 'never ending story/saga'…
After the 1983 release a disillusioned Alan Gill almost completely retired from the commercial music world. The few signs of his Gill’s post-Dalek activity are two tracks in Letter to Brezhnev (1985) soundtrack (credited by not sung by Gill).
Letter to Brezhnev Theme (Alan Gill)
Lockets & Stars (Margi Clarke/Alan Gill)
The same year (1985) (allegedly) saw the release of the cassette only release Naïve (containing Prince of Clowns), after which, five yeas of silence followed. In 1990 Dalek I came back to life with one track on the compilation ‘Liverpool: All This And Heaven Too’ (1990): the title of the song is ‘
Everything I Do’.
(thanks a lot to Endorphin & Swiftnick)
6 commenti:
"Wild Jim" certainly sounds authentic, which means this is a long-lost DILY song, one which their manager and various band-members have never mentioned, and which is not (yet) in my discography. Wow! This blog is doing us all a great service.
I'm glad to hear this from you!
by the way, it would have never been possible without the help of swiftnick!
best
m
I should have sent a photo of the SFX tape, too... I don't have a cassette player, as such, so made the MP3 using my dictaphone...
I shall make a better MP3 when I can borrow a better machine to record from...
DJ Swiftnick
Thanks very much. This is really exclusiv obscure, though I have to wait to dld it on rapidshare.
I know it'll be good.
Greets!
B.
Brilliant to hear those two Letter to Brezhnev tracks after all these years.
I don't suppose you have the Flesh track from the same soundtrack? I had the soundtrack on cassette years ago but I haven't been able to find the songs since.
Darren, unfortunatelly I don't have the whole soundtrack. (And I have to thank Enorphin for the 2 tracks I do have)
Best
Mij
Posta un commento