Dust Choir were formed after the split of Chinese Religion, when Dave Lee Stark (vocals) joined Matthew Maher (guitar), John Maher (bass), Simon Barlow (drums) and Russell Edwards(sax/guitar). Ian Stading (keyboards) replaced Matthew Maher in 1984 and Steve Soar (bass, later Scorpio Rising) replaced John Maher in 1985. Apparently the band only vinyl release is the track appearing on the extra 7” released with the compilation Sons of Jobs for the Boys (1985):
- Another Fly Network
Paul Skillen (This Final Frame) used to live next door to Stark. He recalls: ‘He looks and sings like Johnny Rotten. He’s only 4 ft. 10 and he’s really an amusing character’. After his short militancy with Dust Choir, Ian Standing joined Keep and Get That Smile.
Schwartze writes: ‘Around the end of 1985 three Merseyside bands with quite a large following between them existed – Innervision, Dust Choir and West Awake were all gigging and playing live around Liverpool and Northwest England. After various approaches from management, record companies and releases on tapes and compilation albums all three came to an end. This was the start of Get That Smile.’
John, in the original line-up recalls his time with the band as follows:
'My brother Matthew and I started 'Dust Choir' (although the name came when Dave 'Davva' Lee joined) when we were 16/17. Originally my brother and I practised with a drummer called Cosmo above my Uncle Mick's pub 'The Cleveland' in Birkenhead. His mates used to laugh at us and take the piss out of the racket we made.
Eventually Dave Lee joined and we moved to practise at the top of Ford Hill in drummer Simon Barlowe's parents' garage. Russell joined on sax soon after. 'Another Fly' was written by Matthew and this first Dust Choir line-up. It was the first song we wrote. We recorded it at some fella's house after Matthew had left and Ian and his keyboard joined. My bass was recorded once and you can tell. I'd never recorded a note! Matt left for University in 1984, and with him went the guitar sound that made us sound special.
I wish we had recorded songs like 'Up on the Roof' before he'd left. We had some noisy, tight songs, not properly reflected in any of guitar free recordings. We recorded two demos in my time(I have the cassette somewhere) and got on the free e.p on the 'Sons of Jobs for the Boys' compilation album. I was chuffed when we went to by it off the owner of 'Natalie's Records'and Paul Weller was on it. We played one gig at the Venue in Seel Street and it was ace. I left in 1985 to go to university. Sadly, I never kept in contact with anyone in the band. I now know they continued with Steve Soar on bass (He went on to success with 'Scorpio Rising'). My abiding memories are of rubbish equipment (I played my bent knecked bass through a stereo amp until it blew up!) and the talent of Simon the drummer who had pots and pans fixed on his kit. We once went to record a video at a social club in Kirby?? which turned out to be the one of the weirdest nights ever. I never did get to see the recording properly as we were sandwhiched between loads of 'chicken in a basket' club bands. I would love to hear from anyone who has a copy (a billion to one shot I know). The cameramen certainly enjoyed our mad performance. Dave Lee was a good lyricist and man. He refused to cut down his lyrics, so all our songs went on a bit. In retrospect both my brother and I wish we'd stayed a year or two. You don't realise till later what you had, and we had something in the early days. I enjoyed my time in the band.
Dust choir
(PS. The quality of the recording is really poor. I apoligise for that.)
(thanks to our friend john for the information)
Iscriviti a:
Commenti sul post (Atom)

6 commenti:
Thanks for putting the download on. I haven't heard that for twenty years. My brother Matthew and I started 'Dust Choir'(although the name came when Dave 'Davva' Lee joined) when we were 16/17. Originally my brother and I practised with a drummer called Cosmo above my Uncle Mick's pub 'The Cleveland' in Birkenhead. His mates used to laugh at us and take the piss out of the racket we made.
Eventually Dave Lee joined and we moved to practise at the top of Ford Hill in drummer Simon Barlowe's parents' garage. Russell joined on sax soon after. 'Another Fly' was written by Matthew and this first Dust Choir line-up. It was the first song we wrote. We recorded it at some fella's house after Matthew had left and Ian and his keyboard joined. My bass was recorded once and you can tell. I'd never recorded a note! Matt left for University in 1984, and with him went the guitar sound that made us sound special.I wish we had recorded songs like 'Up on the Roof' before he'd left. We had some noisy, tight songs, not properly reflected in any of guitar free recordings. We recorded two demos in my time(I have the cassette somewhere) and got on the free e.p on the 'Sons of Jobs for the Boys' compilation album. I was chuffed when we went to by it off the owner of 'Natalie's Records'and Paul Weller was on it. We played one gig at the Venue in Seel Street and it was ace. I left in 1985 to go to university. Sadly, I never kept in contact with anyone in the band. I now know they continued with Steve Soar on bass (He went on to success with 'Scorpio Rising'). My abiding memories are of rubbish equipment (I played my bent knecked bass through a stereo amp until it blew up!) and the talent of Simon the drummer who had pots and pans fixed on his kit. We once went to record a video at a social club in Kirby?? which turned out to be the one of the weirdest nights ever. I never did get to see the recording properly as we were sandwhiched between loads of 'chicken in a basket' club bands. I would love to hear from anyone who has a copy (a billion to one shot I know). The cameramen certainly enjoyed our mad performance. Dave Lee was a good lyricist and man. He refused to cut down his lyrics, so all our songs went on a bit. In retrospect both my brother and I wish we'd stayed a year or two. You don't realise till later what you had, and we had something in the early days. I enjoyed my time in the band. Thanks again for remembering us.
john, thanks for the comment, but you did not mention your and your brother matthew's last name, so i cannot complete the band's history, at least that of the earliest line-up!
can you provide this missing info? thanks in advance
mij
Sorry,
The original 'Dust Choir' line up was Matthew Maher(guitar), John Maher(bass), Simon Barlow(drums), Russell Edwards(sax/guitar) and Dave Lee(vocals). Ian Stading(keyboards) replaced Matthew in 1984 and Steve Soar (bass) replaced me in 1985.
After that I don't know what happened!
thank you very much for the information. i appreciate it.
mij
thank you very much for the information. i appreciate it.
mij
davva lee
r.i.p. fella
Posta un commento